Monday, April 10, 2006

This beautiful card I sent my friend

I received some very bad news this week. My father in Libya was hit by a car and killed...before I was ever able to meet him. Ohhh it hurts so bad...but it is life and what do you do??

I sent this card to my friend and I try and read it everyday myself....I think it's so true and maybe is helping me get through these very trying times...

I beg you...to have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. Don't search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, with out even noticing it, live your way into the answer...
(rainer maria rilke)

4 comments:

Mia said...

I am so sorry to hear about your father Shannon. I think the saying on the card is beautiful. I'm glad the words are bringing you some peace.

Marie said...

This is too incredible. This is the second post that's given me chills today. First, let me say that I share your agony at losing your father before you had the chance to meet him. I have a similar story to tell about my nmom. I send my deepest sympathy. I struggle with this loss every day of my life. There will never, ever be closure, now that I've lost her twice. Secondly, I read all the words on the card until I saw who wrote them. Rilke is my absolute favorite poet because he expresses the soul more beautifully than any poet I've ever read. Truly, I share your grief. --Empty Cereal Box

Amyadoptee said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I know it hurts now but time does heal those wounds to some extent. I lost my step father about four years ago. It still hurts and aches at times. You have to allow yourself those feelings. He knows that you love him now.

Highlander said...

Dear Shannon,

I have finally managed to read all your blog. Please accept my heartfelt condolences and as we say in the Muslim world 'inna lilah wa ina ilayhi rajiuun'.
I know you have emailed me twice and I failed to reply the second time because I had some personal family issues of mine. Now I'm family catching up on email backlog. I've sent you my reply before reading your blog - so now I know at least part of your story. I asked you in my email to permit me to post about you and include a link to your blog and a version of your story including some of the details you mentioned in your email. I realise now that you do mention your story in this blog ( but not some specific details you shared with me ).

I am glad you have managed to locate your biological parents and that this has given you an inner peace to just 'know'. Being from North African descent I bet you are a gorgeous looking woman and your daughter is beautiful. I see you have made research on adoption in Islam and you can see how it is very open , the child always knows there are no awkward hidden mysteries. Because I am a Muslim I believe that that system is the best - but them as I said I am Muslim.

I like what you are doing and that you have managed to take your life in your hands and do something about it. Please know that you have a friend in me and I hope you would write and keep on blogging .

Hugs and Kisses all the way from the rock .
H